December 15, 2010

A new postcard design

Finished something small and cute today. <3 This one I'm hoping to turn into a Valentine's Day postcard for next year (a bit early, I know) since it turned out rather Valentine-ish. In Finland, Valentine's Day is celebrated mainly as a day for friends and friendship but since these two are only holding hands they could just as well be close friends. It's up to the viewer's interpretation, after all!

I wanted to make something with a chibi style for a change but I've always had problems drawing chibi, so I ended up looking at Tove Jansson's Moomin illustrations for help. I found this style is much easier for me than trying to draw "normal" chibi characters, so I think I'll stick with this in the future too. They did turn out rather cuddly, I think. -smiles-

I just bothers me slightly that the short-haired girl looks like me, the haircut and colour is spot-on (I drew the sketch before cutting my hair, so it was really a coincidence). Still, I wouldn't mind cuddling with such a cute blond girl! They both turned way more adorable than I expected.

Painted with watercolours. Moon painted with Kusakabe opaque golden watercolour, clouds with another brand's less opaque gold. Yes, it's another one of those works that glitters like crazy in reality.

1 comment: