January 4, 2011

Cut & paste Neptune

Let's see, Copic White, silver watercolour, watercolour ink, Copic markers, pastel pencils, ink and stamps, rose scrapbooking paper, pearlescent paper.. All those things were necessary to create this little postcard design. I simply wanted to draw a pretty picture of Sailor Neptune/Michiru and somehow it went downhill from there. ^^; Pose is referenced from a mail order catalogue I have.

The process in a nutshell:
Neptune herself was drawn on a different piece of paper, coloured with Copics and cut off using a crafting knife after I was finished with her. Since I don't have any blue-green Copics I simply made her hair apple green and applied more ocean-like tones by colouring over some places with electric blue and ocean green pastel pencils and then scrubbing them with a tissue. Hint! Pastel pencils are great for adding extra glow to marker works. Try scratching some colour off the tip of a pencil using scissors or simply drawing light strokes with the pencil and then scrubbing it smooth with a tissue.

I did splatters with ink and watercolour on both Neptune's paper and the bg paper, then let it dry and glued the roses on the edges, soon followed by gluing Neptune in the middle. For a finishing touch I made the text with stamps (because I think stamp-made text looks neat in postcards). It was a lot more work than I had planned but I really like the outcome and damn, this was great fun to do. I just planned everything as I went.

I really want to do more postcard designs this way! Mm, maybe I should do Haruka next so I can pair them up~ -already preparing for summer conventions-

0 comments:

Post a Comment